The Vermont Alliance for the Social Studies, an affiliate of the National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS), is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, educational corporation representing social studies educators including history, geography, political science, economics, sociology, anthropology, and psychology. Our mission is to:
- Promote an understanding of the key concepts, content, standards, and methodology in the fields of history, the social sciences, and social studies’ education through research, communications, and practice;
- Foster teaching practices rooted in democratic principles;
- Provide resources and professional development opportunities for K-16+ social studies’ educators through statewide meetings;
- Represent social studies’ educators of the state of Vermont at various venues; and
- Keep social studies as part of the conversation at the Vermont Department of Education, providing a link between social studies’ educators and the state.